Since the end of 2022, there is regular news articles about companies that are requiring their team members return to working in the office. That can be a few days a week to going back to a desk in an office full time. Returning to the office means adapting to different routines that we have had working from home, and for many, coffee is an essential part of the workday. Here are some tips to think about to ensure you get great coffee during your office hours.
Invest in a Good Thermos, not all offices have turned the coffee service back on:
- Benefits: A high-quality thermos retains the temperature of your coffee for longer, ensuring that you can enjoy a hot cup long after brewing.
- Tips: Look for a thermos with double-wall insulation, a tight-sealing lid, and good user reviews.
Explore Local Coffee Shops, I have found a few of my favorites are gone, the others really need to sell some coffee:
- Benefits: Local coffee shops often provide unique blends and brewing methods that chains might not offer.
- Tips: Regular visits might lead to loyalty discounts or understanding the best times to avoid crowds.
Office Coffee Machine, it might be a good time to get an upgrade or take the time to do a deep cleaning after sitting a few years:
- Benefits: A good machine can make a noticeable difference in coffee quality.
- Tips: Advocate for machines that have options for grind size, strength settings, and even milk frothing for variety.
Brew Your Own, if there is power and room, there is a way to bring in your own equipment to do more than the bulk drip offices have:
- Benefits: Personal brewing methods often produce superior coffee compared to standard office machines.
- Tips: Keep a grinder at the office to grind beans right before brewing, ensuring peak freshness.
Coffee Subscriptions, is the bulk coffee ‘good enough’ after you have enjoyed the better quality beans while working from home:
- Benefits: They take the hassle out of remembering to buy coffee and ensure you’re always stocked with fresh beans.
- Tips: Explore different subscriptions until you find a roast and origin you love. Some subscriptions even allow for coffee variety each month.
Freshness Matters, even if not every pot, occasionally replacing the company provided grounds with yours will help the cup of coffee stay memorable:
- Benefits: Freshly roasted beans retain their flavor profiles and produce a vibrant cup.
- Tips: Store beans in an airtight container, away from direct sunlight. If possible, buy whole beans and grind them as you use them.
Filtered Water, if this isn’t offered, you can bring in a inexpensive water filter pitcher:
- Benefits: Good water can significantly enhance the coffee’s taste, removing any impurities that might alter the coffee’s flavor.
- Tips: If investing in a water filter for the office isn’t feasible, consider bottled spring water for brewing.
Milk and Alternatives, the challenge with bringing in your own milk or syrup is that everyone else will use it too so don’t plan on it lasting very long:
- Benefits: Using your preferred milk or alternative can ensure consistency in taste.
- Tips: Label your milk to prevent others from using it. Some milk alternatives, like oat or almond, offer “barista” versions that froth better.
Coffee Breaks, don’t forget to stop and enjoy your coffee like you did working from home, not a quick chug at your desk and forgetting you even had a coffee:
- Benefits: Beyond the caffeine boost, breaks can enhance mental clarity and provide socializing opportunities.
- Tips: Set specific times for breaks to establish a routine, ensuring you’re not always reaching for a cup out of habit.
Share the Love, your there together, use the coffee as time to have a person to person conversation to help folks escape the view of four walls around them:
- Benefits: Sharing introduces variety and can be a conversation starter with colleagues.
- Tips: Consider setting up a monthly coffee club where members bring different beans to share and sample.
Mind Your Caffeine Intake, since the coffee can be drank while working, more will be drank without the enjoyment, take note of when and how much your drinking to keep it special:
- Benefits: Monitoring intake can prevent over-reliance on caffeine, ensuring you’re consuming it for enjoyment rather than necessity.
- Tips: If you find yourself consuming too much, try alternating with decaffeinated coffee or herbal teas. It’s also worth noting that darker roasts generally have slightly less caffeine than lighter roasts.
I tried a different way of laying out the information in this post, what do you think? Easier to read? I hope this list provides a richer understanding of each point and helps enhance your coffee experience in the office.
Please note that if you purchase from clicking on the link, some will result in my getting a tiny bit of that sale to help keep this site going.